Friday 24 June 2011

Respect

I frequent different sites and blogs. Most of the time, topics that are brought up on those sites are likely to cause disagreement that often leads to friction between posters, to put it mildly.
There are certain situations when it's simply better to agree to disagree. Interestingly, both sides are prone to saying at some point "You should respect my opinion as much as I respect yours, even if I disagree".

Respect. I find this word has changed its meaning or it means different things to different people. When in doubt, I like to consult a dictionary. Here is how Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English defines respect:

1) a feeling of admiring someone or what they do, especially because of their personal qualities, knowledge, or skills -> admiration

2) the belief that something or someone is important and should not be harmed, treated rudely

I would say that respecting someone's (religious) beliefs would fall under no. 1. We are always told that we should respect other people's beliefs even if we don't agree with them. Personally, I do not agree with such approach. Simply because certain beliefs or ideas do not deserve respect, even though they might be held dearly by many people. However, I will still respect the right of somebody to have such ideas despite the fact I find them ludicrous. I believe that when one has an opinion about a subject, such a person should be prepared to put forward arguments in favour of their stance or be ready to defend it rather than expect default respect for their beliefs. That's the attitude I have when entering a discussion online or in real life.



4 comments:

Safiyah said...

I agree with you that some point of views don't deserve respect, and that we don't need to accept such views. I'm talking about extreme cases here, for example views that discriminate against another group, or convey a very hateful message. In general however, I do think that we need to respect the person behind the view. I mean that you don't use bad words with this person or attack him personally, I think that's very important in a discussion. Sometimes a discussion can also become very weary, as it becomes obvious that the parties involved will not agree, and keep on inventing more stuff to disagree on. I also think that not everyone who comments on a post is in for a discussion, but just wants to express his or her opinion.
just some thoughts :) Nice post!

Almost a Muslimah said...

you are a careful reader :-)
"In general however, I do think that we need to respect the person behind the view"

in general, I agree. I certainly agree on discussing issues with respect and by all means not resorting to personal attacks.
As I said, I respect sb's right to believe whatever they want, even if I disagree but in all honesty I struggle sometimes with respecting the person, as an individual, because of the views he/she holds. Not any view obviously ;-)
take for example sb who thinks umm... slavery is fine and dandy. is it possible to still respect a person having such views?

Unknown said...

we normaly don't respect anyone's perception or belief as it is against a human's nature..

P.S I totally agree !!

Admin said...

Being a Muslim I believe that Jesus (peace be upon him)was a true of Prophet of God.

While Christians believe He was the son of God which is completely opposite to my belief:

"19:35 It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! when He determines a matter, He only says to it, "Be", and it is. "

Now keeping in view the meanings of the word "Respect" which is :

"a feeling of admiring someone or what they do, especially because of their personal qualities, knowledge, or skills"

How can I admire a belief which is purely false, according to my research?

But if I respect something it's their freedom of choice.


I fully agree with you here.