Wednesday 13 July 2011

(2:256) There is no compulsion in religion.





I've heard this verse from the Qur'an so many times that now it makes me roll my eyes every single time I hear it. My ex-bf cited it to me on at least four different occasions and I read it on blogs and forums over and over again. It became like a flagship verse from the Qur'an. To me it means that you not only cannot force anyone to become a Muslim but also what stems from this lack of force - tolerance and acceptance of the other.


Is it practiced though? Let's see. I heard it from my ex but at the end of the day he just couldn't fathom being with a non-Muslim. Where is this lack of compulsion? You will say: he didn't force me to convert. 
True, he didn't drag me to the mosque and made me say shahada. But wouldn't you call compulsion or at least emotional blackmail when someone you love dearly tells you they cannot get over the fact that you are a non-believer? My conversion became compulsory in order for our relationship to last.
His behaviour had also nothing to do with tolerance and acceptance. He told me very clearly that he can accept me in a short relationship but he cannot imagine spending his lifetime with a non-believer. His family would get over his decision of being with a non-Muslim but would never love me.
Tolerance and acceptance? Zilch, zero, nada.


I know there are women out there who are in relationships with Muslim men who don't pressure them into converting. Very well, it's a good start. Try this: ask him whether he will allow his children to choose their own path. I'm pretty sure that 99,99% of Muslim men will say "no!"
Mine said just that and I quote: noooooo, this is sooo wrong! they have to be Muslim! being non-Muslim is sooo wrong!


So there you have it. Seem there is no compulsion, just pure tolerance and acceptance of the other. Ekhm... Nope.

3 comments:

Safiyah said...

I think this is a verse that a lot of people preach but don't practise. Then again, the Quran is also ambiguous about this. It also says that Islam is the only religion that will be accepted, and that non-believers will have a very grave fate after death.
I know a lot of Muslims who look down upon non-Muslims, and speak of them as "kafirs". And even to their fellow Muslims, they push them to follow their views, without leaving any room for free will or freedom of thought. Not every Muslim is like that, of course, thank God.
I just want to say, hun, that if Islam is not for you, and you don't feel it in your heart, God probably made a different path for you.
I don't care what anyone else says, I believe that God loves and accepts us all, and that we are never without His mercy, muslim or not.
Do what you feel in your heart is the right thing to do. Live your life as you want it, not as anyone else would like you to live it.
Take care, sis, I hope you are doing well!

Almost a Muslimah said...

yes, of course not every Muslim is like that, at least outwardly, but can you really tell what they think inside their heads? or it may be just that i'm paranoid :D
you are an exception in your thinking (at least from my experience). it's really funny how organised religion makes people so so judgmental and self-righteous! not only muslims!

"I just want to say, hun, that if Islam is not for you, and you don't feel it in your heart, God probably made a different path for you."

that's fine, but if Islam is the only religion that will be accepted then where do I stand on the day of judgement if such comes? as you said Qur'an is ambiguous. It says there is no compulsion but only Islam will be accepted. and i'm confused.

"I don't care what anyone else says, I believe that God loves and accepts us all, and that we are never without His mercy, muslim or not. " - awww, that's the best view sb can hold and i commend you for it!

you also take care! x

teeraljannah said...

I think it's unfair to judge Islam based on what Muslims do. Because Muslims don't uphold all the teachings of Islam and they sure don't uphold the ones that they do perfectly. Including myself.

I think it's easy for you to say that you would let your children choose their own path because it's what you have been able to do for yourself. But everyone has beliefs and environments that they want to raise their children with, including Christians and Jews and Hindus and Sikhs, etc. If you were a Christian woman, I think you would reserve the right to firmly want to raise your children with Christian values. (I don't know if you're not Christian though, so forgive me).

And I don't think this human nature goes against the verse. Because at the end of the day, when your children grow up and are exposed to the world...they will be able to choose what they want and you won't have any influence. People who convert to Islam later in life, aren't they raised with religions at home? I think it is better to raise your children with some sort of values than to raise them with no values at all. You would agree, I think, at the very least belief in God is important...am I right? I think this teaching this concept to children is hard without an organized religion.